Since 2 weeks, I have been baking lemon cake every alternate day.Considering they are huge when baked, they still manage to finish by the time I get to them.
My colleagues in office joke around saying I lie about baking. Much do they know that I don’t get to eat it myself.
I will reveal my recipe of the yummy cake, particularly appealing because of it’s bright yellow colour and the citrusy taste.
You can experiment with the ingredients a bit, to suit your need.
For the cake
Eggs – 5
Sugar- 5 cups
Flour- 3 cups
Softened butter- 1 cup
Milk- 1 cup
Baking Powder- 1.5 teaspoon
Lemon essence- 2 teaspoons (or according to your taste)
A pinch of salt
For the zest
Powdered sugar (Icing sugar works best)
– Beat eggs, one at a time until fluffy.
– Sift the flour with baking powder and salt.
– Cream butter and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
– Mix the eggs with the butter-sugar mixture.
– Fold in flour (in small portions) in the eggs-butter-sugar mixture. Pour half a cup of milk. Repeat with more flour and milk.
– Add the essence and yellow colouring.
– Preheat the oven. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
– Cool the cake.
Mix sugar and lemon juice until the mixture is thick and white-looking.
(You can also add the colouring to the icing)
– Pour the glaze on the cake.
You can substitute butter for oil.
You can also substitute the glaze with frosting .
Bake and eat happy !