I watched Julie and Julia yet again last night and realized that it’s been really long since I posted anything new.
And come to think about it, I wasn’t supremely busy or anything. (Lazy,is what I have become.)
But this long stretch was very nicely utilized and I baked quite a lot.
I certainly don’t want to be narcissistic (of course, I do :D) but the cupcakes turned out to be smashing.
I tried Red Velvet cupcakes (finally!) and some friends became unknowing testers. They wanted to worship me after eating them (rather, I wanted them to worship me). I spent 2 days looking for ingredients and when I didn’t find buttermilk, I made it myself. Because the recipe was different from the usual ones, I was sort of anxious to see how they turned out. And surprisingly found out that the vinegar and buttermilk gave them a nice,soft crumbly texture. And the cakes rose like none before. The cracks that formed on the top were forgiven because I covered them with yummy yummy cream cheese frosting.
I used Britannia’s cream cheese and though the consistency and texture was good, it was a little salty. To even the taste out, I used Rich’s double cream. Sugar, a splash of vanilla extract and some hardcore whipping gave me peaks-forming bowl of happiness.
I made them thrice after this.
So, while randomly looking for good chocolate cupcake recipes, I came across this one that claimed to outdo the others. How bad can it be, I thought. This is until I tried it. The cupcakes were heavenly. So chocolaty and perfectly chewy. They had chocolate chips inside, chocolate buttercream frosting and sugar sprinkles.
You took a bite and it was as if you had died and gone to chocolate heaven where everything was perfect and comforting and yummily chocolaty.
I can never think of making other chocolate cupcakes after these.
For the batter –
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder (not dutch-processed) [I use Hersheys]
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cups chocolate chips
– Beat butter until softened.
– Add sugar. Beat in one direction until light and fluffy.
– Beat eggs and add them one at a time.
– Sieve and whisk flour,cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
– Stir milk and vanilla.
– Add 1/3rd of dry ingredients to butter-egg mixture and beat. Add half of milk-vanilla. Repeat.
– Stir in chocolate chips.
– Scoop batter into cupcake cups about 1/2 full.
– Bake at 200-250 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1.5-2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you want it to be)
1/4 cup milk
– Beat butter until soft.
– Add cocoa and 1 cup sugar to butter and beat until incorporated.
– Add half of the milk and remaining sugar and beat.
– Continue adding milk until you get the desired consistency.
Experiment with measurements until you find one that suits you the most.
Eat and live happily ever after (until the next meal.)